The City of Edinburgh has a wealth of festivities during the month of August which dates back to the 1940's!
The city of Edinburgh
The list of festivities in Edinburgh is endless and different events have been created over many years as can be seen on the lists below:
Edinburgh International Festival (EIF)
- Edinburgh International Festival (founded 1947)
- Edinburgh International Film Festival or EIFF (1947)
- Edinburgh Military Tattoo (1950)
- Edinburgh Jazz and Blues Festival (1978)
- Edinburgh International Book Festival (1983)
- Edinburgh International Science Festival (1988)
- Bank of Scotland Imaginate Festival (1990)
- Scottish International Storytelling Festival (1990)
- Edinburgh's Hogmanay (1994)
- Edinburgh Mela (1995)
- Edinburgh Art Festival (2004)
- Edinburgh Comedy Festival (2008)
Edinburgh Military Tattoo
Edinburgh Festival Fringe (The Fringe)
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe (1947) — now the largest of all the festivals and largest arts festival in the world.
- Edinburgh Free Fringe (2006) – A festival of free shows, and part of The Fringe.
- Free Edinburgh Fringe Festival (2004) – Another festival of free shows, also part of The Fringe.
Other annual cultural festivals
- Festival of Spirituality and Peace, now the just Festival based at St John's Episcopal Church (2005)
- iFest (2007) — the Internet Festival and Conference
- West Port Book Festival (2008) – a free book festival based around secondhand bookshops in the West Port area
- Edinburgh Book Fringe
- Edinburgh International Marketing Festival (2010)
- Edinburgh Swing Festival
- Edinburgh Harvest Festival
- Edinburgh International Internet Festival (1999)
- Edinburgh People's Festival (2002, but claims heritage from earlier festival of same name 1951-1954)
- Edinburgh Interactive Festival (2003)
- Edinburgh Annuale (2004) — contemporary art
- Festival of Politics (2005)
Edinburgh marching band
The Edinburgh Festival is an event which takes place in Edinburgh, Scotland mainly in August. The festivals are actually put on by various unrelated organizations so are officially separate events. However, they are mainly regarded as a whole one event, therefore together forming the largest annual cultural festival in the world.
The original and largest, component festivals are the Edinburgh International Festival (EIF), which consist of classical and contemporary theatre, opera, music, dance, visual arts, talks and workshops, and
the Edinburgh Festival Fringe (The Fringe), which includes theatre, comedy, music, musicals, dance and children's shows. Furthermore, the Edinburgh Festival Fringe is the largest of all the festivals and largest arts festival in the world.
There are also many other cultural festivals including the International Internet Festival and Festival of Politics!!
Multicultural street parades!