Terms & Conditions
When making payment, customers from outside of the UK should check with their card issuers to ascertain whether international card transaction charges will be applied.
What's Included in the Trip Price
Inter-city Travel: By private motorcoach, trains and ferries (see brochures for further details)
Touring: By air-conditioned / air-ventilated motorcoaches. Please note that on some Regional European First Class Tours and London sightseeing, motorcoaches without toilet facilities are used. In the Middle East, air-conditioned / air-ventilated motorcoaches (or minibuses) without toilet facilities are used.
Air Transportation: Is only included in the total price where indicated on each specific tour price panel and First Class Travel Highlights.
Hotel Accommodation: Prices are per person and based on two persons sharing a twin-bedded room with private bath or shower. When booking triple rooms, please note that the third bed may be a ‘roll-away’ bed. In the USA, Canada and Alaska, triple occupancy is based on three people sharing one room with two beds (rollaway beds are not included in triple prices). Please also note that availability of triple rooms is limited. In North America, most hotels are now 100% smoke-free. This smokefree policy includes all guest rooms, restaurants, lounges, meeting rooms, public spaces, and employee work areas. Smoking in a non-smoking room will result in a fine of up to $350 USD per room. Substitute hotels may be used at certain times and will be of similar standard whenever possible (see Itinerary variations below). There are a limited number of twin-shared rooms available with our Guaranteed Room Share Service. Passengers who are members of Hotel Frequent Traveller programmes are not entitled to earn points with any of the hotels featured on a Trafalgar tour.
Cruises: Per person prices are based on two persons sharing a cabin with two berths, private shower and toilet. A limited number of single cabins are available at extra cost. On Nile cruises, triple rooms are not available.
North American Cruises: A hotel service charge of $11 per passenger is automatically added to each passenger’s shipboard account on a daily basis. If the service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of the cruise. Cruise Line Immigration Questionnaire: These mandatory forms are available online with your cruise company and must be completed online no less than 30 days prior to your departure. Shore Excursions: To make your holiday even more memorable, cruise lines offer an extension programme of optional shore excursions. Confirmed passengers may confirm shore excursion requests online in advance of sailing. “Oceanview stateroom” is a cabin which features either a porthole or a window as opposed to an “Inside Stateroom”. Cabin assignment is solely controlled by the cruise lines and Trafalgar has no control over the assignment of cabins. Ships’ Registary: Holland America Line: ms Zuiderdam, ms Volendam, ms Statendam, ms Ryndam: The Netherlands.
Travel Director: Escorted tours are conducted in English only by a professional multi-lingual Tour Director (English only in Australia & New Zealand). In South America, all tours are hosted by a local tour expert in each country.
Travel Operation: In the event that there are 15 passengers or fewer in South America (10 passengers or fewer in Australia & New Zealand) travelling on an escorted departure, Trafalgar reserves the right to operate this departure on an individual basis with private transfers and individual arrangements.
Meals: In-flight meals and snacks are served according to airline policy. Continental or buffet breakfast is served on all tours except in Ireland and provincial Britain (not including London) where full national-style breakfasts are served. Dinners are included as detailed on itineraries. All meals are included on cruises.
Sightseeing: Excursions and entrance fees to places of interest visited as detailed on each itinerary with an English-speaking guide where necessary.
Transfers: Between airports, hotels, railway stations and piers where indicated on the tour itinerary. Please see page 203 for details on airport transfers.
Porterage: Baggage handling for one suitcase per person on tour, at hotels, is included in the tour price. Due to limited coach capacity, this single bag should have dimensions notexceeding 30”x18”x10” (76x46x25cm) and weight not exceeding 50 lbs (23kg). Charges will be levied in the event that these limits are exceeded. It cannot be guaranteed that more than one suitcase will be carried. Hand luggage should be one piece per person and should be limited in size (not exceeding 30x28x14cm or 12”x11”x6”) so as to fit under your coach seat or in the small overhead shelf. These are the responsibility of each tour member and should be taken onto the motorcoach with you. Please note that luggage with telescopic handles and wheels will not fit in the overhead compartments and can therefore not be accepted as carry-on luggage for safety reasons. Porterage at train stations is not included. Trafalgar will not accept liability for any loss or damage to baggage or any of the passenger’s belongings. Passengers should report any lost items to the Tour Director, who will assist in completing a lost property form that can be used for any insurance claim in this matter. However, Trafalgar cannot assist in locating any lost items once the passenger has returned home.
Airlines & Luggage: Airlines may impose stricter weight and size limits for luggage and may also charge fees for checked baggage, including the first checked bag. Please check with your airline(s) directly for baggage regulations and related fees. Trafalgar is not responsible for additional fees imposed by air carriers regarding baggage. Note that if taking the Galapagos Islands Extension (page 71,72-73), there is a luggage weight restriction of 20kg (44lbs).
Tips: All tips are included for services on tour provided by dining-room waiters, chambermaids and porters at hotels, airports and docks.
What's Not Included in the Trip Price
Passport and visa fees; airline fees for checked and/or excess baggage; insurances of all kinds; hotel service charge on North American cruises; tips to Tour Directors, motorcoach drivers, local city guides and cruise staff; gratuities on ferries, trains and cruise ships; porterage at train stations; laundry; phone calls; minibar; beverages; meals not detailed in the itinerary; optional excursions; and all items of a personal nature. The tour price also does not cover costs and expenses, including the return to your home, if you leave the tour at your own volition or due to illness, or as a consequence of official action by the government of any country visited.
Additional Cruise Fees: These compulsory charges are levied by the cruise lines and comprise of non-discountable/non-commissionable fees plus government fees and taxes; these may include any and all fee charges and taxes imposed by US and/or foreign governmental authorities, including custom fees, head taxes, inspection fees, harbour maintenance fees and internal revenue service fees. Government fees and taxes are subject to change without notice and will apply irrespective of your booking payment status. These additional fees and charges are listed in the date and price panel of each applicable tour itinerary.
Reservations and Payment
Deposit Final Payment
£100 per person per tour At least 45 days prior to departure*
(non-refundable) (Tour & Train North America 50 days)
North America Tour & Train
Deposit Final Payment
£125 per person per tour At least 90 days prior to
North America Tours & Cruise Tours
Deposit Final Payment
£195 per person per tour At least 80 days prior to
1. Your land reservation will be confirmed on receipt of a non-refundable, non-transferable deposit of £100 per person per tour, which is required within 7 days of booking (except on some departures where space is limited and your deposit may be required sooner. You will be advised at time of booking.) Your reservation will automatically be cancelled if the deposit is not received within the specified period.
2. Trafalgar reserves the right to cancel the reservation and impose cancellation charges should payments not be received within the above specified periods.
3. If you book an itinerary with included flights, you will be contracted with Trafalgar Tours Ltd, who hold ATOL no. 10148, and any money paid to a travel agent, where land tour arrangements and a flight are booked together, is at all times held by the travel agent on behalf of Trafalgar Tours Ltd. Payment for these flights must be made in full within 7 days of booking and is non-refundable.
4. Any special meal requirements will be made on a request basis only. Trafalgar cannot guarantee special meal requests nor will it assume any responsibility or liability if passengers’ special meal requests are not fulfilled.
5. At the time of going to press, we are unable to be specific on the airline carriers and the type of aircraft that they will use.
6. For Oberammergau conditions see separate conditions on page 206.
Travel documents, including any air tickets and instructions on how to join your tour, will be sent to you approximately 21 days prior to departure (providing full payment has been received).
Booking Changes, Cancellations and Refunds
Booking Changes: A fee of £15 per person (per change) will be charged for any revision or alteration (including any change or substitute of a passenger name) made to a reservation after the booking is confirmed unless the change increases the value of the booking. A change of tour date or tour itinerary within 45 days (50 days for North American Tour & Train tours, 80 days for North American Tour & Cruise combinations, 90 days for River Cruises) prior to departure will be treated as a cancellation, and normal cancellation fees will apply except when the change is to an earlier tour departure of equivalent or greater value, in which case a £15 per person amendment fee will be charged.
Cancellations: Notice of cancellation must be made in writing either directly to Trafalgar or through your Travel Agent. The following cancellation charges will apply if cancellation is notified:
Coach Tours (Land Only)
No. of days prior to Cancellation fee
tour departure* as % of total tour price
45 days or more £100 non-refundable deposit
44 - 22 days 25%
21 - 8 days 30%
7 - 1 days 50%
Day of departure/no show 100%
No. of days prior to Cancellation fee
tour departure* as % of total cruise price
90 days or more £125 non-refundable deposit
89 - 60 days 25%
59 - 30 days 30%
29 days or less 100%
Day of departure/no show 100%
Tour & Train (North America)
No. of days prior to Cancellation fee
tour departure* as % of total tour price
Over 50 days £100 non-refundable deposit
50 - 35 days 35%
34 - 20 days 50%
19 - 8 days 75%
7 days or less 100%
Tour & Cruise (North America)
No. of days prior to Cancellation fee
tour departure* as % of total cruise price
Over 80 days £195 non-refundable deposit
80 - 46 days 35%
45 - 16 days 50%
15 - 8 days 75%
7 days or less 100%
* Please note: The departure date constitutes the date indicated on Trafalgar’s confirmation. If you do not join the tour on the departure day, cancellation fees will be 100%.
Extra night hotel accommodation that is cancelled within 14 days of the booked date will incur a 100% cancellation fee; outside 14 days the following fees will be charged:
35 - 22 days 25%
21 - 15 days 30%
Above mentioned cancellation fees are in addition to any cancellation fees that may be levied by your Travel Agent.
These cancellation charges apply for airline arrangements made by Trafalgar Tours: Before airline ticket is issued: £30 per person fee. After airline ticket is issued: £45 per person fee in addition to any airline-imposed penalties, which may be up to the full value of the ticket.
Airline availability: Seats are limited and may not be available on every flight. The alternative air schedules may be offered, which may include connecting flights, alternate gateways or more expensive booking categories. The actual airfare will be quoted at the time of booking.
Refunds and Penalties
Illness or Absenteeism: If you withdraw from a tour after it has started for reasons of illness, you must obtain a medical certificate in support of any insurance claim. We regret that no refunds can be made for absences from a tour, including but not limited to, missed meals or sightseeing. Trafalgar Tours makes no representation or guarantees concerning reimbursements of funds paid by you under any insurance claim.
Airline seating assignments: Passengers may contact the airline and arrange their seat assignments directly with the carrier. Seats can also be requested through Trafalgar Reservations, however, preferred seating arrangements may not always be available. Additionally, some carriers may restrict their seat assignments to 30 days prior to departure. Seat assignments are solely under carriers’ control.
Airfares: If a promotional airfare contained in this brochure is broken or extended for any reason, an additional cost may be incurred. Airfares are subject to change at any time. Changes to flight itineraries and name changes may result in penalties charged by Trafalgar and/or the airline concerned being passed on to the passenger. Trafalgar cannot be responsible for any flight delays or airline schedule changes. Most airline tickets will be issued as electronic tickets. Refunds for cancelled electronic tickets will be processed upon receipt of returned tour documents. If paper tickets had been issued, no refund can be made until airline tickets are received by Trafalgar. Please ensure that returned tour documents containing paper airline tickets are sent by certified or registered mail, as lost ticket replacement can take up to a year and a processing fee will be assessed by the airline.
General Information and Conditions
Trip Prices: Are based on costs, charges, tariffs, rates, prices, taxes, levies and exchange rates as at 23rd October 2009. Should these change, the price of your holiday may increase. No fuel or currency surcharges will be made (land tours only, does not apply to cruise or air prices) once full deposit payment on your booking is received. This does not apply to any taxes, charges or levies imposed by any government or their agencies. In exchange for these guarantees, no refund will be made if costs are reduced. All prices are in Pound Sterling unless otherwise specified. Where holiday prices are surcharged, we will absorb an amount equivalent to 2% of the holiday price which excludes insurance premiums and any amendment charges. Only amounts in excess of this 2% will be surcharged, but where a surcharge is payable, there will be an administration charge of 50p per person, together with the amount to cover the agent’s commission. If this means paying more than 10% on the holiday price, you will be entitled to cancel your holiday with a full refund of all money paid, except for any premium paid to us for holiday insurance and amendment charges. Should the price of your holiday go down due to the changes mentioned above, by more than 2% of your holiday cost, then any refund due will be paid to you. However, please note that travel arrangements are not always purchased in local currency and some apparent changes have no impact on the price of your travel due to contractual and other protection in place.
Trip Participation: Children under 5 years of age are ineligible on coach tours. Children under 8 years of age are ineligible on Africa tours and river cruises. Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult. Passengers with disabilities are welcome on Trafalgar tours provided they are accompanied by an able-bodied companion capable of providing all necessary assistance, and do not require special assistance from Trafalgar personnel. Trafalgar reserves the right to refuse to carry anyone if it is felt the individual cannot cope with the requirements of coach tour travel and who may require services and facilities that Trafalgar cannot guarantee will be available. You agree to not hold the Trafalgar group of companies responsible for any decision made by any of them or any service provider to refuse to carry you, provide any facilities or accommodation to you or to provide any service to you. For the benefit of all tour members, Trafalgar reserves the right to accept or reject, or remove any tour member whose conduct is considered to be incompatible with the interests of other tour members. Trafalgar is not responsible for any costs incurred if we have to terminate a tour member’s tour due to unacceptable behaviour.
Young traveller 5-17 discount: The young traveller must be under 18 years of age (for North America Tour & Train and Mexico tours, the young traveller must be under the age of 13. For Alaska tours, the young traveller must be under the age of 12) on the tour departure date, and must be accompanied by an adult, sharing a twin room. The young traveller must be the specified age at the time of travel to be eligible for this discount and is limited to one young traveller discount per room. This discount cannot be combined with our Travel With Family and Friends discount.See page 19.
Itinerary Variations: Trafalgar constantly strives to improve tour itineraries and features. If such improvements can be made, or unforeseen circumstances beyond our control make changes necessary, we reserve the right to vary itineraries and to substitute hotels. At certain peak periods duplicate departures may operate, and sometimes in reverse order, in which case hotels may vary from those stated on the itinerary pages. Trade fairs (e.g. Amsterdam IBC Congress) or other events (e.g. Venice Film Festival on Lido) occasionally cause changes from scheduled hotels. In these and in other cases substitute hotels may be used and will be of a similar standard and location whenever possible. On tours that include cruises, the ship may be changed due to operational reasons. Ports of call on Mediterranean cruises may be subject to alterations if weather conditions do not permit docking. On locally-hosted tours, sightseeing and other services may occasionally be provided by third parties, in which case transportation and itineraries may vary. Departures in early/late season are potentially operated in cool weather conditions. As a result, slight itinerary variations may occur, and certain activities may not be available due to seasonality or weather conditions. If your tour enjoyment may be diminished by such limitations, please check with your Travel Agent before making your reservation.
Extended Stays: If you have arranged with us extra night accommodation at a destination before or after your tour, please understand your stay will be at your sole expense, as is the transfer from or to the airport. For your comfort: Trafalgar operates a daily seat rotation system and seats on coaches cannot be booked. Also a strict non-smoking policy onboard motorcoaches applies but regular comfort stops are made on travelling days.
Trip Cancellation: Trafalgar reserves the right to cancel or re-schedule any tour departure in accordance with operating requirements or circumstances beyond its control provided that such cancellation is advised no fewer than 35 days prior to scheduled tour departure except for reasons of force majeure or failure by you to pay the final balance. If material alterations become necessary to tours or travel arrangements for which bookings have already been made, Trafalgar will inform agents and direct passengers without delay, and will give passengers the choice either of accepting the alteration, which will be of comparable standard, if available, or of receiving a prompt and full refund of all money paid. If material alterations are made after the date on which final payment was due, Trafalgar will compensate passengers with a payment of 5% of the Land arrangement price paid. If such alterations are made within 14 days departure the compensation will be 7.5% of the arrangement price paid. Trafalgar is not responsible for any other travel arrangements affected due to our cancellations.
Travel Insurance: Trafalgar recommends that all passengers purchase comprehensive travel insurance. Some countries have a requirement for foreign visitors to have valid medical insurance on entry. Trafalgar cannot be held responsible if a passenger is denied entry for being unable to provide details to the authorities of such insurance.
Trafalgar Tours Limited, the Tour Operator, is responsible for the following duties:
1. The Operator shall be responsible to the passenger for supplying the services and accommodations described in this brochure, except where such services cannot be supplied or the itinerary used is changed due to delays or other causes of whatever kind or nature beyond the control of the Operator. In such circumstances, the Operator will do its best to supply comparable services, accommodations and itineraries and there shall be no refund in this connection.
2. This brochure represents the entire agreement between the passenger and the above mentioned Operator.
3. In the absence of their own negligence, neither the Operator nor their agents or cooperating organisations shall be responsible for any cancellations or for acts of any other service providers concerned, diversions or substitution of equipment of any act, variations, postponements, omission or default whatsoever by air carriers, land carriers, hoteliers or hotels, transportation companies, or any other persons providing any of the services and accommodations to passengers including any results thereof, such as changes in services, accommodations or facilities necessitated by same. Nor shall they be liable for any loss or damage to baggage or property, or for injury, illness or death, or for any damages or claims whatsoever arising from loss, negligence or delay from the act, error, omission default or negligence of any person not their direct employee or under their exclusive control, including any act, error, omission, default, or negligence of any country, government or governmental authority, officer or employee. All baggage and personal effects are at all times and in all circumstances at the risk of the passenger. Baggage insurance is recommended. The carriers, accommodation and other suppliers providing services are independent contractors and are not agents, employees, servants or joint venturers of the operators or their affiliates. All certificates and other travel documents for services issued by the operators are subject to the terms and conditions specified by the carriers and suppliers and to the laws of the countries in which the services are supplied. Carriage by sea is subject to the Carrier’s Conditions of Carriage which are expressly incorporated into this contract, copies of which are available upon requests. The Operators are not responsible for any criminal conduct by third parties.
4. Where the passenger occupies a motorcoach seat fitted with a safety belt, neither the Operators nor their agents or co-operating organisations or service providers concerned will be liable for any injury, illness or death or for any loss or damages or claims whatsoever arising from any accident or incident, if the safety belt is not being worn at the time of such accident or incident.
5. Transportation companies, airlines etc. are not to be held responsible for any act, omission or event during the time passengers are not on board planes, transportation or conveyances. We rely on international convention which may apply to the services provided by us, our suppliers or agents with respect to any claim of any nature brought by you against us as a result of the provision of those services. International conventions which apply may include: Warsaw Convention 1929, (as amended by Hague Protocol and Montreal Protocol) in relation to air travel, or Montrealm Convention; the Berne Convention for rail travel; Athens Convention 1974 for carriage by sea; the Geneva Convention for carriage by road and the Paris Convention 1962 for Hotels. We are to be regarded as having all benefit of these conventions on limiting our liability in relation to any claim for death, injury, loss, damage and delay to passengers and luggage.
6. Should you or any member of your party suffer illness, personal injury or death through any misadventure arising out of an activity which does not form part of any excursion sold through us, we shall, subject to our reasonable discretion, offer you every assistance we can. Where, with our prior agreement, legal action is undertaken, initial costs associated therewith shall be met by us, always provided that such assistance is requested within 90 days from the date of any such misadventure. This includes advice, guidance and initial financial assistance where appropriate, up to the limit of £5,000 per booking. This service is provided by a legal expenses insurance policy. Should any payment be made to you or any member of your party by us in any of these circumstances, we reserve the right to claim in your place against the party responsible. This means that you must agree to assign that part of your rights to us and we will be subrogated to those rights.
7. All matters arising are subject to English law.
8. Every effort is made to ensure brochure accuracy at the time of going to press; however Trafalgar cannot be held responsible for printing or typographical errors, or errors arising from unforeseen circumstances.
9. Enrolment in and payment for a tour shall constitute agreement and acceptance by the passenger of the terms and conditions set forth in this brochure which cannot be varied except in writing by an officer of the Company.
10. Arbitration of Disputes: Disputes arising out of or in connection with this contract which cannot be amicably settled, may, (if the customer so wishes) be referred to arbitration under a Special Scheme which, though devised by arrangement with the Association of British Travel Agents, is administered quite independently by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. The Scheme (details of which will be supplied on request) provides for a simple and inexpensive method of arbitration on documents alone with restricted liability on the customer in respect of costs. The Scheme does not apply to claims for an amount greater than £5,000 per person. There is also a limit of £25,000 per booking. Neither does it apply to claims which are solely or mainly in respect of physical injury or illness. The rules of the Scheme provide that the application for arbitration must be made within nine months of the return from the holiday, but in special circumstances it may still be offered outside this period.
The Foreign & Commonwealth Travel Advice Unit may have issued information about your holiday destination. You are advised to check this information on BBC2 (Ceefax) page 470 onwards or on the internet under the address(http://www.fco.gov.uk). Alternatively you can contact ABTA information department on 0901 201 5050 (calls charged at 50p/minute).
It is your responsibility to comply with the terms, conditions or requirements of any service provider, or any country or governmental authorities, or to bear any costs or losses incurred as a consequence of you not complying with them.
Your booking arrangements are to be made by your Travel Agent and the person effecting the booking shall be deemed to have accepted the booking conditions.
When you buy an ATOL protected air holiday package and/or flights from Trafalgar Tours Limited you will receive a Confirmation Invoice from us (or via our authorised agent through which you booked) confirming your arrangements and your protection under our Air Travel Organiser's Licence number 10148. In the unlikely event of our insolvency, the CAA will ensure that you are not stranded abroad and will arrange to refund any money you have paid to us for an advance booking. For further information, visit the ATOL website at www.caa.co.uk. Not all holiday or travel services offered and sold by us will be protected by the ATOL scheme. Please ask us to confirm what protection may apply to your booking. Only bookings from countries subject to the EC Package Travel Directive will receive financial protection from ABTA and the CAA.
Trafalgar Tours Ltd is a member of ABTA with membership number Y181X. ABTA and ABTA members help holiday makers to get the most from their travel and assist them when things do not go according to plan. We are obliged to maintain a high standard of service to you by ABTA's Code of Conduct. For further information about ABTA, the Code of Conduct and the arbitration scheme available to you if you have a complaint, contact ABTA, 30 Park Street, London, SE1 9EQ, Tel: 202 3117 0500 or visit www.abta.com.
Data Protection Policy Statement
Please be assured that we have measures in place to protect the personal booking information held by us. This information will be passed on to the principal and to the relevant suppliers of your travel arrangements. The information may also be provided to public authorities such as customs or immigration. We will only pass your information on to persons responsible for your travel arrangements. This applies to any sensitive information that you give to us, such as details of any disabilities or dietary/religious requirements. In making a booking, you consent to this information being passed on to relevant persons. Where the data might be passed on for marketing purposes, you have the right to opt out of future marketing. You also have the right of access to data held which can be obtained by writing to Trafalgar Tours Ltd (see address below).
Additional Optional Excursions
With Trafalgar, you will enjoy many famous highlights as included features on your tour – at no extra cost. However, there is an exciting array of additional optional excursions which we make available to further enhance your enjoyment. These excursions are optional, and are offered at special preferential prices. They are available for perusal at www.trafalgar.com/uk but can only be booked once you start your tour. A detailed list and cost of these will be included in your travel documentation. You can book and pay for them through your Tour Director by cash, Visa, Mastercard, American Express or travellers cheques. Please note that confirmed cruise passengers may confirm shore excursion requests online in advance of sailing.
Important Note: It is the client's responsibility to ensure all necessary visas are obtained prior to departure and their passport is valid as per the laws of the country that they are travelling in or through. The Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) may have issued information on the FCO’s website at www.fco.gov.uk/travel. For travel information, you can also visit ABTA's website on www.abta.com or phone them on 0901 201 5050 (calls are charged at 50p/minute).
Unfortunately it is inevitable that some of the prices or details contained within this brochure may have changed since the brochure was printed. You will be informed about any changes to any of the relevant details within this brochure when you book either with your Travel Agent or with ourselves as part of our commitment to high quality customer service. Any bookings made in the UK will be made with Trafalgar Tours Ltd. (Company Number 50679), which is a member of ABTA (Y181X) and licensed by the Civil Aviation Authority (10148).
Trafalgar Tours Ltd.
Picquet House, St Peter Port, Guernsey, GY1 1AF Channel Islands
Tel: 020 7574 7444
The Trafalgar group of companies has Marketing, Sales, Administrative offices/agents in: Australia, Canada, China, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Japan, London, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, Switzerland, Thailand and USA.
For further information visit our website at: www.trafalgar.com/uk.